Dallas Same-Sex Divorce Lawyers
Same-Sex Parenting Rights Attorneys in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
Same-sex couples regularly face unique hurdles when navigating various family law disputes, including divorces and parenting rights cases. Having an experienced lawyer at your side who understands the challenges same-sex individuals and couples face is vital if you want to achieve a positive outcome.
At Hance Law Group, PC, we'll empower you with information and legal counsel that enables you to confidently pursue an ideal outcome in your family law dispute.
Common Challenges in Family Law for Same-Sex Individuals and Couples
Same-sex individuals couples regularly have questions about how to:
- Find family legal solutions as a same-sex individual or couple;
- Divorce a same-sex spouse;
- Establish a cohabitation agreement with a same-sex significant other;
- Face the challenges Texas presents toward same-sex couples in divorce, and;
- Discover the rights and responsibilities afforded to same-sex individuals in relationships.
Texas recognizes divorce among same-sex couples due to the U.S. Supreme court ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, but the courts are not always that friendly or flexible. With the help of a knowledgeable attorney like those at Hance Law Group, PC, you can work through or around those potential hurdles. We've also worked with the issues that occur relative to marriages that occurred before the supreme court case, including how Texas courts deal with the "legal" date of marriage.
Same-Sex Family Law Attorneys Near You
Hance Law Group, PC, has helped clients needing same-sex relationship counsel in Texas for decades. We can help you:
- Pursue a divorce, including dealing with property and children. Since the 2015 Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, a same-sex divorce should proceed just the same as an opposite-sex divorce. However, because same-sex divorce was not legal for years, there are some complex issues, such as determining the date of marriage and how to deal with common law marriage claims.
- Draft a cohabitation agreement. If you choose to cohabitate with your partner without marriage, we'll help you draft a cohabitation agreement to ensure your rights are protected. A cohabitation agreement will create your rights regarding assets as well as assign responsibilities regarding debts.
- Pre-marital agreements. If you are planning to marry, you should consult with an attorney about the impact the marriage may have on your assets or future inheritance. A pre-marital agreement may be essential for you.
- Prevent common law marriage. Although it might sound good in theory, creating a common law marriage can occur without your intent. It could result in your significant other obtaining rights to your assets. A properly drafted cohabitation agreement by Hance Law Group, PC, will prevent this.
- Obtain parenting rights. If you've adopted a child or had a biological child, it's essential to know your rights as a parent in the event of a partner dissolution or divorce. Your significant other (or you) could have rights to the children, depending on the length of the relationship with the child and the amount of actual care and custody you've each had with the child. Our family law attorneys are experienced in developing parenting plans that best fit your needs and protect your parental rights - even if you are not the biological or adoptive parent.
- Set financial and other essential expectations. When you cohabitate with your partner, it's necessary to plan for the future. Even if you never expect to split up, making a cohabitation agreement can help you avoid conflict in the future and protect your rights as a parent or individual.
When you need sound legal counsel and the ability to protect your future in the event of a divorce or partner dissolution, trust Hance Law Group, PC. We're one of the few firms in the area that provides services for same-sex marriage and cohabitation agreements. Our lawyers will help you learn your rights and safeguard yourself against future conflict.
To begin working with one of our attorneys in Texas today, schedule a consultation with one of our Dallas same-sex divorce and parenting rights attorneys by filling out our online contact form or giving us a call at (469) 378-5467.