“I enjoy helping clients reach positive outcomes and rebuild their lives."
- Larry Hance
Larry Hance is managing partner and founder of Hance Law Group.
As an attorney who practices family law exclusively, Larry is known for inspiring confidence in clients at one of the most stressful times in their life. Listening, educating, advocating, he guides clients to sound strategic decisions that protect their priorities.
Larry is focused on ensuring clients realize the greatest value from his legal counsel while minimizing the emotional costs of divorce. A skilled litigator, as well as an insightful collaborative lawyer, Larry offers clients the full range of approaches to best suit their situation and goals.
With almost 40 years of experience in family law, Larry uses his experience with the legal system, judges, and other lawyers to help clients achieve the best possible results.
Education & Experience
A graduate of the S.M.U. School of Law, Larry has practiced law in Dallas since 1980. He became Board-Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1985. Larry is also a member of Collaborative Divorce Dallas (a Dallas Practice Group).
From 1988 through 1990, he sat as the Associate Judge of the 301st Family District Court in Dallas County.
Larry’s interest in alternative dispute resolution led him to complete training as a mediator in 1990. He is also co-founder, past president, and current member of Collaborative Divorce Texas (formerly known as The Collaborative Law Institute of Texas).
Memberships & Awards
- Board Certified in Family Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2021)
- Best Lawyers® 2021 Collaborative Law: Family Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Dallas/Fort Worth
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” – D Magazine (2003, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021)
- “Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers, DFW” – Texas Monthly Magazine (2010)
- “Texas Super Lawyer” – Texas Monthly Magazine (2003-2020)
Larry is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and a member of the American Bar Association Family Law Section. He is also a member of the State Bar of Texas Family Law Section, and a Fellow of the Dallas Bar Foundation, the Texas Bar Foundation, and the Texas Bar College.
Larry was selected as one of Dallas’ top family lawyers by D Magazine in 2003, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021.
Texas Monthly has named him a Super Lawyer every year since 2003, and one of the top 100 Texas Super Lawyers for the Dallas/Fort Worth region in 2010.
Each year since 2008, he has been nominated and named to the Best Lawyers in America and for 2021 recognized as “Lawyer of the Year – Collaborative Law: Family Law”.
Hance Law Group has been named a Tier 1 firm in Dallas/Fort Worth for family law by US News-Best Lawyers, “Best Law Firms in 2017-2021”.
In 2018, Larry was recognized as a Credentialed Collaborative Professional by Collaborative Divorce Texas, and in 2019 recognized as a Master Credentialed Collaborative Professional.
Publications & Presentations
Committed to educating and sharing his expertise, Larry has spoken to numerous groups and organizations throughout Texas on family law. His topics have included trial preparation, collaborative law, alternative dispute resolution methods, and mediation techniques.
- Author, "Early Decision: When Is It Smart to Have a Prenup?", Texas Bar Journal, January 2018
- Speaker, "The Story of Medicine Hat: Creating a Flourishing Collaborative Community", Dallas Bar Association, December 2017
- Speaker, "Issues in Same Sex Marriage and Divorce", Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar (TAPS), October 2017
- Author, "Trusts and Divorce: What You Should Know", Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, September 2017
- Co-Author, Developing a Collaborative Family Law Practice: Leading Lawyers on Exploring Collaborative Law, Integrating it into a Practice, and Implementing Marketing Strategies (Inside the Minds), 2011
- Speaker, "An Introduction to Collaborative Law", 2010 State Bar Annual Meeting at the inauguration of the State Bar Collaborative Law Section, August 2010
- Speaker, "Limited Scope Services: Providing Value to Clients on their Terms", Dallas Bar Association, April 2010
- Speaker, "Collaborative Law Process: Resolving Family Disputes with Dignity", Rockwall County Bar Association, April 2008
- Co-Speaker, "Find New Routes Through Familiar Territory: Creative Settlement Options for Children", Collaborative Law Institute of Texas Spring Retreat, March 2007
- Co-Speaker, "Challenges of Collaborative Law", Dallas Bar Association, November 2005
- Co-Speaker, "When the Problem Isn't the Client", Advanced Family Law Course, August 2005
- Speaker, "Update on Collaborative Law" Dallas Bar Association, October 2004
- Co-Speaker, "Dealing with Challenging Clients: Who Are They and How Can We Help Them?", International Academy of Collaborative Professionals Forum, October 2004
- Co-Speaker, "Collaborative Law: If I can't go to court, what do I do?", University of Texas School of Law Family Law on the Front Lines, 2004
- Co-Speaker, "Collaborative Family Law Training: Materials & Forms", Advanced Family Law Course, 2003
- Co-Speaker, "Collaborative Family Law Training", Advanced Family Law Course, August 2002
- Speaker, "Collaborative Family Law: Why Aren't Those Lawyers Going to Court?", Rockwall County Bar Association, April 2002
- Author, "Trends in Family Law Practice: The Times, They are a Changin'", Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, April 2002
- Speaker, "Collaborative Family Law: Why Aren't Those Lawyers Going to Court?", South Texas College of Law Family Law for the General Practitioner and Legal Assistant, 2001
- Co-Speaker, Collaborative Family Law Panel, Advanced Family Law Course, August 2001
- Speaker, "Trends in Resolving Family Law Disputes: Arbitration, Mediation, Collaborative Law", University of Houston Family Law Practice Seminar, 2001
- Speaker, "Collaborative Family Law", Gregg County Family Law Council, October 2000
- Co-Speaker, Collaborative Family Law Workshop, Advanced Family Law Course, August 2000
- Speaker, "Are You Offering Your Clients Enough Options for their Family Law Needs - Or Will They Go Elsewhere?", Advanced Family Law Course, August 2000
- Speaker, "Trial of a Family Law Case: The Preparation", University of Houston Law Family Law Practice, June 1998
- Speaker, "Drafting with Ethics and Malpractice in Mind", Advanced Family Law Drafting Course, 1996
- Speaker, "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Mediation Fees", Dallas Bar Association Alternate Dispute Resolution Family Law Section, May 1994
A native of Dallas and Rockwall, Larry is married to Jill, and they have three children. He was a charter member of the Rockwall County Sheriff’s Posse. Outside of his practice, Larry enjoys fly fishing, reading, skiing, riding his bike, doing everything with his children, and spending time outdoors.